Venison Backstrap

It's hunting season here in Colorado and I've just received a lovely piece of venison backstrap. It's a very lean cut but it's also probably the best piece of venison you're going to get. Anybody have any suggestions for how to prepare it to best honor the cut?

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I think this recipe would work well with venison loin (which I believe is the same as backstrap): http://www.food52.com/recipes... The earthiness of the mushrooms and the port would be a nice complement to the meat.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Thanks Merrill. That sounds like a nice change from my normal 'wrap it in bacon and go with God' approach!