A question about a recipe: Salted Pumpkin Caramels

8e14c365 f2fa 4a31 abfe bf38725d6e54  101910f 412

I have a question about the recipe "Salted Pumpkin Caramels" from cheese1227.What is fleur de sel?

asked by Patrisha about 7 years ago

beyondcelery

http://en.wikipedia.org...
Salt gathered from the Bretagne coast of France. It's usually a coarser grain with a really briny flavor and greyish color. It's perfect as a finishing salt, such as the tops of the caramels, because of its nice crunch.

Fleur de sel is a delicate, flaky sea salt -- it's really nice sprinkled on top of sweet and savory foods, but you could substitute another flaky salt like Maldon or even kosher. If you only have table salt, I'd skip sprinkling on top and maybe just add a pinch to the caramel instead.