Any new-to-you FOOD52 recipes that were guest favorites (or yours) at your holiday festivities yesterday? I'll start . . .

For us, it was Sara's Sweet Potato Casserole, which I prepared minus the streusel topping, just scattering some toasted pecan pieces on instead. Also, melissav's Ciabatta, Sweet Potato, Mushroom and Chorizo stuffing, which I made last year but was new to my oldest son who wasn't home then, was declared best stuffing, ever. (I made it using my own rosemary and mashed potato focaccia, with great success.) Thanks so much, everyone. ;o) Here are the links: http://www.food52.com/recipes... and http://www.food52.com/recipes...

gt9
gt9

Surprisingly enough, the "Pepto-Bismol" colored, Susan Stamberg's mom's, Craig Claiborne's, cranberry relish got high marks even from non cranberry lovers. Berry's, onion, cream cheese, horseradish.

Have never tried it, but have heard about it since I was a kid. May just have to make some, but not on Thanksgiving. The shock experienced by my family will be easier to handle, that way. ;o)

I made that a few years ago and had no other takers. Since it lives in the freezer, I was happy to play with it until it ran out. And somewhere on the NPR website, SS admits that it isn't her favorite and gives/gave the recipe for the one that is.

Sara's Sweet potato casserole was a huge hit and Meta Givens pumpkin pie got rave reviews.

That Meta Givens pie is definitely on my to-do list. Thinking about making it with butternut squash, as the roasted squash I've been making lately is so flavorful. ;o)

I am going to do the same thing, have some butternut squash I have to use and going to use it for a pie. It really is exceptional. My daughter who is a pumpkin pie connoisseur said its the best pumpkin pie I have ever made. Can't wait to try with butternut squash.

I forgot to add that I made Bevi's Cranberry Sauce with Rosemary and Pear Brandy. Delicious, the cranberry lovers at my table loved it!

Panfusine

For me Rivka's Mujadarra has become such a favorite at home, I go back to making it over & over.. My Pie was inspired by Liz the chefs revenge of the pear crisp, except it had apples also & was seasoned with a tea-masala (chai spice). Thanks to food52, fallen completely in love with Kale..Baked puff pastry stuffed with Seasoned Kale & Paneer. Its amazing how Food52 has begun influencing even day to day choices in food.

Panfusine, you are such an inspiration! We are having an all vegetarian Christmas dinner, thanks to your example and all I'm learning from you. For this, I am very grateful, always. ;o)

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I love the mujadarra! We didn't make it for the holidays this year but it was a HUGE hit at the Food52 potluck!

PaulieG

Panfusine, i think I answered this on another thread too... Mujadarra from Rivka is one of our favorites! It never gets old! Food52 is so inspiring and has brought me to my kitchen more than ever (and my DH thinks I live in there!)

Pickled Prunes! Hardlikearmor is a genius. And if anyone out there has not yet made a reubenesque by lastnightsdinner - go do it right now

vvvanessa

those prunes are indeed the bomb.

Aaregersi, I have some lacto-fermented sauerkraut ready to go . . . plus a bit of fontina, as luck would have it. What perfect timing for this. Thanks for the tip!! ;o)

You will love it! Is it wrong that I am already thinking about next Thanksgiving? I may have a food planning sickness :-)

Aargersi, my posts haven't been coming up in the right places today, so this one is in response to your comment about planning next year . . . well, if you're sick, so am I. My son thinks I'm a bit crazy. I've already decided (i) we don't need a big bird, or a whole bird, because all it's really for is the leftovers and stock, and it takes up too much room on the T-Day plate. So, I'm going to buy some wings and a thigh only next year and make vol-au-vents with mushrooms and turkey in a nice make-ahead sauce for T-Day, with only the most important 2 or 3 sides, plus cranberry compotes and pies, of course; and (ii) the other traditional sides will be served on Friday and Saturday, when they'll get the love the deserve. And there will be plenty of cranberry compote(s) to go with the leftovers onto sandwiches, to spoon over ice cream, onto breakfast, etc. because I'll make at least three different ones. The turkey parts, roasted a day or two before, will provide plenty of leftovers for sandwiches, WinnieAb's pho, etc. ;o).

Hey AJ! Mr L somehow didn't want to talk about how I want to do all Cajun next year ... maybe because I started talking about it the second my eyes opened yesterday morning! Ha ha! Well I made dirty rice Wed night with my turkey livers and it rocked ...
And that got my little mental cooking gerbil all wound up on his thinking wheel.

BigBear

I had some of the stuffing with chorizo, sweet potatoes and mushrooms for breakfast, with a fried egg. It was so good.

BigBear

Add your answer here

rayva

Made the brandy pear cranberry sauce and there's just a smidgen left, and compliments all around. Also did the Judy's bird and the ciabatta mushroom chorizo stuffing. I left the bird in too long by a few minutes but it was still decimated by our table of twenty. Making stock today for soup!

pamelalee

I tried MrsWheelbarrow's Challah, Mushroom, and Celery Stuffing and monkeymom's Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls. They were both easy to prepare and delicious.

maryvelasquez

I made the apple sauce cake from the food52 holiday app. It was scrumptious and a nice variation from all the pies.

Sonali's caramelized onion and goat cheese mashed potatoes were a big hit with my family, as was Mrs. Wheelbarrow's what we call stuffing. There was not a sour note among the lot of recipes I used so a big thanks to the wonderful food52 community!!!

calendargirl

Meta Given's Pumpkin Pie caused all to swoon. The pumpkin iteration of mrslarkin's Butternut Sage Scones (breakfast Thanksgiving morning) and dymnyno's Crisp and Light Brussels Sprouts were not new to us, but they deserve mention because they are both sooo good.

Bevi

AJ's Braised and Roasted Cabbage got lots of love. B's Sour Mash Mash was a huge hit. I make a delicious cornbread and fried oyster stuffing that really is delicious. That was appreciated, as were the extra oysters I fried for nibblers. The Root Gratin is a perennial love of all. My daughter made a delicious Brussels Sprouts dish with an Asian-inspired sauce that flew out the door - knocked off from a current dish at the Vanderbilt restaurant in Prospect Heights, where she works. My friend Dot made a delicious stuffing/dressing that received rave reviews - sausage, apples (my tree apples), walnuts, chestnuts, dried apricots, white wine, chicken stock, and herbs - yum! Of all the cranberry sauces, everyone's favorite was cranberry pico de gallo, posted here: http://www.food52.com/recipes...
Of course, we made about 8 different cranberry dishes, including my rosemary, Susan Stamberg's Shocking Pink, AJ's Smoking Bishop, and a molded jelly that was delicious.
My goddaughter made a refreshing roasted butternut squash and arugula salad from Martha Stewart. Of the desserts, the wildcard winner baked apples were lovely, and a pump maple syrup pie from Ken Haedrich's Pie Cookbook. My son and his girlfriend brought some lovely seckel pears from the Union Sq. greenmarket and made some gorgeous red wine soaked pears and reduced the liquid to an undulating syrup - delicious with some ginger whipped cream!

There were menu additions and deletions as people weighed in on their contributions, and that is part of the fun! It was a very mellow event, with fewer people than usual - 21 plus 2 adorable twin boy babies. We all had a marvelous time!

melissav's Ciabatta Stuffing with sweet potatoes and chorizo was delicious. I think it will replace my mother's stuffing--which is saying a lot! I saved some extra croutons for a nibble. The Judy Bird turkey, made with a kosher bird and only salted for 1 day, was great. I still stuffed minced shallot under the skin the morning of and forgot to follow the cooking directions; I just did what I usually do with turkey. The flavor penetrated the white meat and was fuller and more rounded than usual. Very good. Will repeat next year. I still would like to improve on the milk-free pumpkin pie--used soy milk which was good, but not rich enough. Nut milk or creamer was out of the question since there was an allergic child at the table. The pie crust was good; I blind-baked for 10 mins in a 425 oven with foil and beans in it before adding filling and the bottom crisped up. I may try the Meta Givens pie for a meal that can have milk products in it this week.

mensaque

Okadot's Perfected Pumpkin Pie...and perfect it was!I made it with my mom's mean fresh pumpkin purée and it was over in minutes!

denverdawn

Carrot Avocado Salad!! We left the creme fraiche off to accommodate the vegans in our group & everyone LOVED it!! It's earned a place on my permanent salad recipe list & I'm not a salad lover :)