🔕 🔔

I've always this was a no-no, but can't I leave some stock simmering on the lowest of low heats and do some errands without risking burning

Would be great to get the stock started while I run to get potatoes for pickle soup!

asked by Patti,Mac almost 6 years ago

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

Would not advise it, Murphy's law invariably kicks in, & an unwatched pot tends to boil sooner than usual!

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I agree. My mom once left a pot of soup on very low heat while she and I went off to run a quick errand. My brother was there to "keep an eye on it," but he was 10 and playing a video game. The house was filled with smoke when we got back. "Low heat" turned out to be "high heat" by accident. I believe my mom threw the pot out with dinner and started over.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I just did it yesterday. I made sure that it was up to temperature and on the lowest of simmers, added a little extra liquid and did not leave a 10-year-old in the house. Worked fine for me. On the other hand, I know I've heard that the best way to burn down your house is to put a pot of oil on the stove for French fries and then go out to buy your potatoes.

7c277636 59d9 4bd3 b351 551be6162d38  open uri20140803 32066 vga7t1

I'm on the fence, but since I have a 10 year old too I think I'll err on the safe side . Granted my 10 year old is a yellow lab, but who knows what kind of crazy she'll get up to with the smells of chicken stock wafting through the house.

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I did it and burned my kitchen came home to firetrucks at my house, I had errands to run, pick up the daughter from soccer practice etc... its risky.

E6f5e079 1551 4472 bc70 dcc35a71edc2  110

Could you warm up the oven, shut it off, and leave the stock in there?

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

My disaster: getting ready to leave for work, I put dry beans and water in a pot, put it on high heat and left the house. I was supposed to bring it to a boil and turn it off (nothing cooks when I'm not home!). It was almost lunch time when I remembered. I rushed home to find a house full of smoke and my pot melting and fusing with the electric burner. The beans were carbon. Fortunately, no fire, no harm other than the pot -- total loss; smoke everywhere; dinner would not be chili. The only way to try this safely is with a crock pot.

8c848bd6 b952 44c4 93c3 bc8465a6fd74  phone 176

In the professional kitchens I've worked in, we have always started the stock to simmer just before leaving for the night. My biggest concern with it for around the house would be the subsequent gas or electric bill (unless I had animals or children that is). At home, I make my stock in a pressure cooker. It comes out good and takes a fraction of the time and effort. Add all ingredients into the stock pot. Bring it to pressure. Cook at pressure for 30 min. and let it cool on it's own accord.

Beca7451 7105 4ac2 8874 7b10f85fdfe4  p1030880 2

Leave it in a crockpot!