Simple Gifts Granola: do I powder the whole berry, or just the seeds or outer covering?

I have a question about the ingredient "1/2 teaspoon allspice" on the recipe "Simple Gifts Granola" from drbabs. Just realised that the seeds can be removed by cracking open the outer 'shell'. Its the first time I'm using the whole spice, I've always used the store bought powder prior to this,

Dc882f39 c26c 475a 8009 ec6fd00a0064  imag0813
Recipe question for: Simple Gifts Granola

susan g December 1, 2011

Well I just learned something new (though it's not the first time!) -- I sold bulk herbs and spice for 29 years and never realized what happened when you crush the allspice berry. I'm sure the commercial ground allspice is made from the whole berry. I took a pair of pliers and crushed one so I could see what was there. Smells wonderful! I also made the granola and used ground allspice.
We sold a mixed peppercorn blend (black, white, green, pink) with allspice, but the home grinder (hand grinder) left the allspice behind, so we remove them. I had to find one to sell with only the peppers because other people had the same issue, but it does add a nice note.

Panfusine
Panfusine December 1, 2011

yep, the overall aroma that emanates got me asking this question, was the smell from the seed, or the outer covering!

drbabs December 2, 2011

Interesting question. I love allspice, but I've only used the ground powder...thanks for testing. I hope you enjoy it!