If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fresh ricotta is the star in this recipe. This recipe was made on a whim one afternoon when a trip to the supermarket turned into a gourmet style lunch at home.
I garnished this recipe using fresh Roma tomatoes that were sliced and/or breaded and fried. I also sliced fresh garlic and "flash-fried" it for just a few seconds. —jenniebug1978
- 4 large Portobello mushroom caps
- 2 cups fresh Ricotta cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 9 oz. pkg. frozen, chopped spinach, thawed & drained of excess water
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Place mozzarella in freezer for approximately 15 minutes in order to get it hard enough to hand grate or shred using a food processor.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place mushroom caps, gill-side up, on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Roast until tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend ricotta cheese, spinach, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella cheese, Italian seasoning, half of the minced garlic and half of the minced onion in a medium bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Place the marinara sauce in a small pot with the remaining minced garlic and onions. Heat on low until heated through.
- When the mushroom caps are tender, carefully pour out any liquid in the caps. Return the caps to the baking sheet, gill-side up. Spread 1 to 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce into each mushroom cap; cover the remaining sauce and keep warm. Mound a generous 1/3 ricotta/spinach filling into each mushroom cap. Bake until hot, about 10 minutes. Serve with remaining sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Fresh Ricotta