If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: You don’t have to use grilled vegetables in this salad. If you like the idea of the zucchini and the eggplant but don’t feel like firing up the grill, you could roast them instead. Or you could use chopped tomatoes, cucumber, peppers…lots of combinations would work here, and they’d all be delicious. Quinoa seeds are naturally coated with a bitter substance that needs to be removed; you can easily accomplish this by putting your quinoa into a fine mesh strainer and rinsing thoroughly with warm water before cooking. For this quinoa salad, you cook the quinoa using 1 cup quinoa to two cups water. Bring to a boil in a small pot on the stove, cover, reduce heat to simmer, and let cook until water is absorbed. Quinoa cooks fast, so this only takes about 15 minutes; when it is done cooking, turn the heat off but leave it covered for another 10 minutes before fluffing with a fork.
Serves: 6-8 as a side dish
1 large zucchini
1 large eggplant
1 cup raw black quinoa, cooked to equal approximately 4 cups cooked quinoa, and then cooled
1 1/2 cups chopped fresh basil
approximately 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (I like French feta made with sheep’s milk)
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted for a minute or so in a hot skillet
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon organic sugar or honey
- Preheat your grill. Sliced the eggplant and zucchini and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place in grill basket over high heat and grill until tender. Remove and allow to cool before chopping into bite-sized pieces.
- Combine the chopped grilled vegetables with the cooked quinoa and the basil in a large bowl. Add most of the crumbled feta cheese. Mix well.
- Whisk the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and then pour over the salad. Mix well and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
- Garnish with the toasted pine nuts and the rest of the feta. You can sprinkle a little more basil on top too, if desired.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!