This is a breakfast dish that makes the combination of mushrooms and steak shine. It is also probably the kid's favorite option for dinner around my household. But, they are both huge mushroom fans. —Tony S
- Serves 4
ribeye steaks or 1 big enough to feed 4 people
lbs. mushrooms of your choice, sliced
large or 2 small shallots, minced
tsp. fresh thyme, minced
cloves garlic, minced
Tbs. dry white wine
cup heavy cream
tsp. minced fresh chives
eggs (depends if you want 1 or 2 eggs per person)
loaf quality bread such as sourdough
salt & pepper to taste
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season steak(s) with salt and pepper, bring to room temperature.
- In a pan over high heat, Sear both sides of steaks in a heavy bottom saute pan.
- Remove steaks and transfer to oven to finish cooking. Do not rinse pan!
- Using same pan over medium high heat, add a bit of olive oil or butter. Saute mushrooms until browned.
- Add shallot, garlic, thyme, salt & pepper to mushrooms and saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Deglaze mushrooms with white wine, scraping fond from bottom of pan.
- Once wine has evaporated, add cream to mushroom/shallot/thyme/garlic mixture. Reduce to the sauce consistency desired. Sprinkle in chives.
- Slice thick pieces of bread (1 slice per person) and toast both sides.
- Poach or fry eggs to desired doneness.
- Remove steaks from oven and slice after resting.
- To plate- place toast on bottom of plate, top with slices of steak, spoon creamed mushroom mixture on top, and finally top with poached/fried eggs. Serve with hot sauce for those that like a kick!