Author Notes: I make this salad every time my son comes in to town and then quite often throughout the year. It's simple but complements a variety of dishes. This can be doubled or tripled depending on the size of your picnic. —inpatskitchen
Serves: 4 to 6 as a side
English cucumbers sliced in rounds as thinly as possible
Salt for wilting the cukes
tablespoons granulated sugar
tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
tablespoons dried dill weed
cup thinly sliced red onion
Grape tomatoes for garnish (optional)
- Generously salt the sliced cucumbers and toss. Set them in a colander over a bowl and let them "wilt" on the counter for two to three hours.
- After wilting, thoroughly rinse the salt off ( this can take three or four minutes ). You want just a slight taste of salt on the cucumbers.Drain.
- In a bowl mix the cucumbers with the onion, sugar, vinegar and dill. Refrigerate a few hours before serving either cold or at room temperature.. Garnish with the grape tomatoes if desired. Serve with a slotted spoon.
- Note: Feel free to adjust the sugar and vinegar ratio to your taste.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shaved Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish