Author Notes: I started making this salad two summers ago after receiving my first order of Christmas lima beans from Rancho Gordo. I loosely followed a succotash recipe from the Rancho Gordo cookbook and added more vegetables, a big handful of mint, and a sherry vinaigrette. The perfect time to make this salad is in the heart of summer, when the farmer's markets are brimming with sweet corn, cherry tomatoes, and green beans. It's a beauty with its rainbow of colors and it travels well for a picnic or potluck. Aside from cooking the limas and blanching the green beans, it requires no stove or oven time -- just my type of dish for the dog days of summer. —EmilyC
Food52 Review: This is a delicious take on the classic succotash, with goat cheese making a nice creamy addition. The mint sets the dish apart from other succotash recipes, as well. I cannot stop eating it -- cold, room temperature, or warm. Christmas lima beans can be hard to find, but the recipe instructions note that you can use romano beans instead. I will definitely be making this again, with more mint and maybe even add a sprig of dill. —DeannaMarie
Serves: 4 to 6
pound green beans (both haricot verts or Romano work well), trimmed and snapped in halves or thirds
tablespoons sherry or red wine vinegar, or more to taste
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, or more to taste
ounces dried Christmas lima beans, cooked according to package instructions (regular lima beans can be substituted)
cups cherry tomatoes, halved
cups fresh corn kernels (from about 3 ears)
tablespoon fresh chives, coarsely chopped
tablespoons fresh mint, coarsely chopped
cup goat cheese, crumbled
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lime wedges, for serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and prepare an ice bath in a large bowl. Add a generous amount of kosher salt, then the beans. Cook until tender but still slightly crisp in the middle (about 2 to 3 minutes for haricot verts and slightly longer for Romano beans). Transfer to the ice bath to stop the cooking and lock in the color. Drain and set aside.
- Place vinegar in a small bowl, then gradually whisk in oil.
- In a large bowl, combine green beans, Christmas limas, cherry tomatoes, corn, chives, mint, and 3/4 cup goat cheese. Pour dressing over salad, a little at a time, tasting as you go. Toss to coat. Season with kosher salt and pepper. Garnish with remaining 1/4 cup goat cheese. Serve at room temperature, with lime wedges on the side.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mint
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Corn off the Cob
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Picnic Dish