If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is an old family favorite going back generations to the farm that my family owned for 150 years. We don't know exactly how it came to be known as "bloody sunrise," but that's what it has been known for at least 100 years. - Letha Deibler —Letha Deibler
Food52 Review: Letha’s old family favorite may just be the best cheesy grits recipe ever! Easy to prepare, the combination of three different cheeses contrasts with the acidity of the cherry tomatoes to take this southern staple in a new direction. I loved the addition of pine nuts for a little crunch and rich flavor. Basil would work equally well as the green garnish. A beautiful presentation for a brunch buffet, this is comfort food at its finest. I'm sure it is meant as a side dish for 8, but my husband and I blissfully ate half of it (with some fruit) for a perfect breakfast as hurricane Irene raged outside. One quick note: Butter the pan before pouring the grits into it for easier cleanup. - deanna1001 —deanna1001
cups boiling water
cup pepperjack cheese (grated)
cup cheddar cheese (grated)
cup parmesian cheese (grated)
cup whole milk
cup red cherry tomatoes (sliced)
cup pine nuts (toasted)
tablespoon fresh cilantro (minced)
- boil 4 cups of water in large sauce pan
- stir in grits and salt and return water to boil
- cover with lid, simmer over low heat for 5-7 minutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally
- while grits are hot, remove from heat.
- add butter, pepperjack cheese, cheddar cheese, and parmesan cheese
- When cheese melts, add 2 eggs and 1/2 cup of milk. Mix well.
- Pour cheese mixture in 9x13 baking dish
- Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes, or until brown.
- Remove from oven
- Top with sliced cherry tomatoes, toasted pine nuts, and minced fresh cilantro
- Return to oven for two minutes
- Let casserole set approximately five minutes before serving.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cherry Tomatoes