If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I had never cooked with either french lentil or pearled barley before, but was curious about both so I decided to get a bit and just have a go! When I make this again I will probably go a bit heavier on the veggies than I did here, but otherwise this lasted me lunch throughout the week and was just as good as left overs. —cinnaspice
Makes enough for 4-5 lunches
- 1 cup French Lentils
- 1 cup Pearled Barley
- 1 Zucchini
- 1 Sweet Red Pepper
- 1 Large White Onion
- 2-3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 bunch Fresh Basil
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1-2 teaspoons Honey
- dashes Salt and Pepper
- Rinse barley, then place in pot with half of the onion, quartered, 1-2 cloves garlic, a bunch of basil and 1 cup water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer until barley is tender and water absorbed. Remove onion, garlic and basil.
- While barley cooks, rinse lentils and place in separate pot with 1.75 cups of water (you can add more later if needed) and a sprig of basil. Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender but still hold their shape. Drain any liquid if necessary.
- While barley and lentils are cooking, chop zucchini, peppers, a bunch of basil and the rest of the garlic. Toss in 1 tsp of EVOO and place in foiled baking tray. Bake in oven on 350F until cooked through (20-25 minutes).
- Mince the remainder of the onion and, once lentils are done, fry in pan with 1 tsp EVOO. Once translucent, add lentils and fry on low-heat to add a bit of crisp (this step really is voluntary!)
- Whisk 1 tbsp EVOO, RWV and honey together in large mixing bowl, then add cooked barley, lentils and veggies and toss in the dressing.