Author Notes: This recipe is the result of my working with some of the very essential and basic flavors of my kitchen. I love the fact that this recipe can be served both warm or at room temperature. While, I have suggested spinach here, you can make this with almost any greens of your choice.
—Rinku Bhattacharya /Spice Chronicles
Serves: 4 to 6
tablespoons olive oil
tablespoon freshly grated ginger
pieces garlic, pressed
Medium onion, diced
cups very finely chopped fresh spinach
teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
cup low fat Greek yogurt
- Heat the oil on medium heat for about 1 minute and add the ginger and the garlic and saute lightly for a minute until begining to turn fragrant and pale golden.
- In a small skillet add the cumin and heat for about 1 minute until fragrant. Place in a mortar and pestle and coarsely bruise the cumin.
- Add in the spinach and cook for 3 minutes until the spinach wilts
- Mix in the black pepper and the salt and mix well
- Beat the yogurt and add to the spinach, cook on low heat until the yogurt is warmed through, but do not bring to a boil.
- Turn off the heat and let the spinach rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Greens