- Serves 6
This recipe was given to me by a woman I bought my beets from at the farmer's market. I made a few adaptions and absolutely love how all the flavors work together. This creamy sauce gives just the added touch to baked beets without being overwhelming. —ashleychasesdinner
medium beets, peeled and cut in slices ( about a quarter inch thick or so)
shallot- chopped finely
all purpose flour
dry white wine
fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degree.
- Arrange beets in 9x13 baking dish. Add water. Cover dish and bake for about 45 minutes. Beets should be fork tender.
- Sauce: Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Add shallot and saute until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour until smooth paste forms.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and wine.
- Bring to a low boil. Sauce will thicken.
- Remove from heat. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to sauce.
- Pour sauce over beets.
- Return to the oven and bake uncovered, about 10 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and golden around edges.