This recipe was given to me by a woman I bought my beets from at the farmer's market. I made a few adaptions and absolutely love how all the flavors work together. This creamy sauce gives just the added touch to baked beets without being overwhelming. —ashleychasesdinner
- Serves 6
medium beets, peeled and cut in slices ( about a quarter inch thick or so)
shallot- chopped finely
all purpose flour
dry white wine
fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degree.
- Arrange beets in 9x13 baking dish. Add water. Cover dish and bake for about 45 minutes. Beets should be fork tender.
- Sauce: Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat. Add shallot and saute until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in flour until smooth paste forms.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and wine.
- Bring to a low boil. Sauce will thicken.
- Remove from heat. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg to sauce.
- Pour sauce over beets.
- Return to the oven and bake uncovered, about 10 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and golden around edges.