Author Notes: Here's a great way to roast beets: in a salt crust. The horseradish, thyme, and orange in the crust infuse the beets with bright flavor as they're cooking.
Roasting beets for salads, using this method is great. Here is one I make often.
The technique I adapted from Bon Appétit Magazine. Recipe by Dan Barber for the Salt-Crusted technique and the Horseradish Crème Fraîche. The salad ingredients, which I used to make with sour cream mixed with mayonnaise, are mine.
For Horseradish Crème Fraîche and salad
- • 1 cup crème fraîche (8 ounces)
- • 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- • 2 teaspoons Sherry wine vinegar
- For the salad
- • 3 large beets, roasted in a salt-crust, peeled and sliced 1/4- inch slices
- • 6 dried Non- Sorbate pitted prunes, chopped
- • 1 large garlic clove, finely grated
- • 1/2 cup toasted walnut pieces
- • Orange segments and 2 tablespoons juice
- • Kosher salt and black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- • Pomegranate seeds for garnish
For the beets
- • 2 cups coarse kosher salt
- • 5 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- •1 tablespoon finely grated orange peel
- • 3 large unpeeled beets (each about 8 ounces), trimmed, scrubbed
- To make Horseradish Crème Fraîche: Whisk crème fraîche, horseradish, chopped chives, and Sherry wine vinegar in a small bowl to blend. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
- To roast the beets: Preheat oven to 375°F. Mix coarse salt, horseradish, thyme, and orange zest in medium bowl. Place three 3-tablespoon mounds of salt mixture on small rimmed baking sheet, spacing apart.
- Top each salt mound with 1 beet, and then cover all beets with remaining salt mixture, pressing very firmly with hands and forming crust around each beet, covering completely.
- Roast beets 1 3/4 hours. Remove from oven; crack salt crusts open and remove beets. Peel beets; cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices and then in matchsticks.
- In a salad bowl toss all ingredients for the salad except Pomegranate seeds. Just before serving, arrange the salad on platter, drizzle with some of horseradish crème fraîche, sprinkle with pomegranate seeds. Serve more horseradish crème fraîche on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Root Vegetable Side