If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is the recipe that inspired my Little Spinach Pinwheels, but it's so easy I hesitated to post it earlier. This is my answer to those little mushroom turnovers with cream cheese pastry that my mom was so adept at making. It's another good appetizer to stash in the freezer and pull out when unexpected (or expected) company arrives. —inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: This recipe is perfect for anyone looking for a simple yet elegant appetizer. I followed the recipe as written, except I used a combination of butter and olive oil, since I ran out of butter (I know! The horror!). Make sure you roll the puff pastry tightly -- because there is no creamy or cheesy binder, the mushrooms have a tendency to fall out of the sliced pieces as you transfer them to the pan unless the roll is very tightly wound. However, the finished result is one where the flavor of the deeply browned mushrooms really shines through. —foxeslovelemons
Makes: about 20 pinwheels
ounces mushrooms (your choice), diced finely
teaspoon dried thyme leaves
teaspoon black pepper
sheet puff pastry (from a 17.3-ounce package)
egg beaten with 3 tablespoons water
- In a large sauté pan, melt the butter and add the diced mushrooms, thyme, salt, and pepper. Sauté until the liquid from the mushrooms evaporates and they become a little brown and caramelized. Set aside to cool.
- Take the puff pastry sheet and roll it into a uniform rectangle about 10 by 12 inches.
- Spread the mushroom filling over the surface of the pastry and then roll it jelly roll-style starting with the long side.
- Refrigerate the roll for about 20 minutes before slicing into 1/4-inch rounds. (Or wrap and freeze the roll for later use.)
- Place the little pinwheels on a parchment-lined baking sheet and dab each with a little of the egg wash.
- Bake at 425° F for 12 to 15 minutes and serve warm.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Hors d'Oeuvre
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack