If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Vegetable barley soup - soothing, undemanding sustenance. —renderings
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion - chopped
- 3 garlic cloves - thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks - chopped
- 2 carrots - chopped
- 2 bacon slices - chopped
- 4 tomatoes - blanched, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup fresh italian parsley - chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- (1) Cook pearl barley according to directions on package. Set aside.
- (2) Heat the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Set aside.
- (3) Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery to the remaining oil in the pot and sweat until just tender.
- (4) Add the tomato and cook, stirring, for five minutes or until the tomato is soft.
- (5) Stir in the pearl barley, stock(s), sugar, parsley, reserved bacon and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for about 1 1/2 hours. Season to taste.
- * Can be made and frozen for up to 2 months. ** You can use a combination of vegetable stock, chicken stock, or whichever stock you prefer. *** You may need less tomato paste. Add and taste as you go.