If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: In my family, no ingredient is more polarizing than the mushroom. I am the lone lover in a house full of haters. That said disguised with a top that is at once sweet, sour, bright, creamy, and enrobed in rich, salty pancetta, my husband declared, “Were it not for the mushroom, this tastes amazing.” And that was enough for me. —gingerroot
Serves: a crowd
For the quick marinated mushrooms
pound cremini mushrooms, wiped clean with a damp paper towel, stemmed
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice (Meyer if you have it)
garlic cloves, minced
teaspoon smoked paprika
For Blue Cheese and Honey filling
ounces mild, firm blue cheese, crumbled
tablespoons crème fraiche
Zest of 1 lemon (Meyer preferred)
ounces pancetta, depending on the size of the mushrooms (you may need more if your mushrooms are on the larger side)
- Zest your lemon into a small bowl and set aside. You'll use this later.
- Combing marinade ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Taste for acid and salt and add more if needed. Add clean, de-stemmed mushrooms and gently toss to coat. Set aside and allow mixture to marinate for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 400° F.
- Meanwhile, make filling by adding blue cheese, crème fraiche and honey to bowl with zest. Thoroughly combine to break up any large chunks of cheese.
- Place marinated mushrooms, cap side down, on a broiler pan. Fill each cap with about a teaspoon of filling. Carefully separate each piece of pancetta and cut each in half with kitchen shears. With one end of the pancetta slightly overlapping one edge of the filled cap, wrap the pancetta around the mushroom, completely covering the filled top at least once if not twice, depending on the size of the mushroom. For a larger mushroom, use a whole piece of pancetta if necessary. Repeat until all of the mushrooms are wrapped.
- Cook in batches (if necessary) until mushrooms are fragrant and pancetta is crisp, about 10 minutes. Start checking when you can smell them. Carefully remove from pan (chopsticks come in handy) blotting on a paper towel if necessary, and arrange on serving platter, with toothpicks if desired. Serve immediately these are best hot. Enjoy!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best One-Bite Party Snack