Author Notes: I love whole grains and this is more a method than a recipe. I also make this with Kashi, Farro, or winterberries. —WCmom
The Barley portion
- 1 shallot
- 11/2 cup Pearl barley, or any grain you enjoy
- 1 quart chicken stock, may change depending on grain
- 1 teaspoon dry sage
- 1 tablespoon good olive oil
roasted veggies of your choice, below listed what I like.
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 2 tablespoons good olive oil, salt, pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 handful toasted chopped walnuts
- saute shallot in olive oil until soft. Add in barley and saute barley with shallot for a couple minutes until you can smell a nuttiness. Lastly add in sage and saute another minute. Add in chicken stock, and cook by directions on grain packaging.
- Roast veggies chopped up in similar sizes sizes tossed with olive oil and salt and pepper in 425* oven until soft and golden. To assemble, put Barley mixture in a bowl, top with roasted veggies. Finished with freshly grated parmesan cheese and lots of toasted walnuts. Yum!