If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: These dumplings are very simple and easy to make. They can had steamed, seasoned and finished all so quick. They are the best enjoyed steaming hot. —PistachioDoughnut
- 3 cups washed and chopped spinach
- 1 cup Whole wheat flour preferably coarse flour
- 2 tablespoons Chickpea flour
- 2 tablespoons Ginger-green chillies paste
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon Lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- 2 pinches Soda Bicarbonate
- pinches Asafoetida
- 2.5 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons Oil for tempering
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds for tempering
- 1/2 teaspoon Asafetida for tempering
- 2 to 3 Curry leaves (optional) or tempering
- 1.5 teaspoons Sesame seeds for tempering
- Take whole wheat flour and chickpea flour, add the salt, sugar, soda , ginger -chilli paste, chopped garlic, asafetida, sesame seeds, lemon juice, oil, and finally chopped spinach and mix well. Add some water to make a dough. Make a wet dough. not too dry nor too runny.
- Divide the dough in equal portions and roll out oblong shaped dumplings with the help of your palms. no need of perfection at all. Now place these into a greased container which we are going to use as a steamer. If using a pressure cooker , then fill the cooker half way and insert a empty bowl and place the container of dumplings on top of the empty bowl(take a sturdy bowl) , we do not want the bowl to move while cooking. cover it with lid.
- There are two ways you can steam these, one in a pressure cooker without the whistle for about 15 minutes or with the help of a bamboo steamer. Once the dumplings are placed into greased surface , steam them upto 15 minutes on high flame. Once the steamer or pressure cooker is cool, remove the dumplings. Let them sit for about few minutes and cut them into pieces.
- Take a pan on medium heat, add oil , mustard seeds ,once the seeds crackle add asafetida, curry leaves and sesame seeds and the steamed dumplings into the pan. Mix it well. And cook it for about 5 to 10 minutes until a little crispy. Serve hot with chutney or as it is.
- We can even make these dumplings with fresh fenugreek leaves, bottle-gourd, grated cabbage/carrot or zucchini.