Author Notes: I can eat these any time and they make perfect travel food- no utensils needed. Chewy rice with the tang of rice wine vinegar and a touch of sugar, smoky slivered shiitakes,minced crunchy vegetables and nutty sesame seeds. This is also a great dish to make with little kids. Their small hands are ideally suited for stuffing the small pockets, and they are perfect lunch box treats- to show their schoolmates.
—LE BEC FIN
can or package (16)Aburage (tofu skin pockets),rinsed thoroughly and squeezed
cups Cooked sushi rice or short grain brown or white rice, tossed with rice wine vinegar and sugar ( like sushi rice)and cooled
cup dried shiitakes, poached til tender, sliced thin and minced, OR 1-2 cups fresh shiitakes, sauteed and minced*
cup black sesame seeds
package pickled gobo(burdock root)*, sliced crosswise into 1/4 inch pieces OR 1/2 cup sliced carrots, steamed til pierceable, cooled and minced
1 package or can of pickled Kampyo(gourd ribbons), finely chopped
1/4- 1/2 cup smoked trout or cooked salmon, chopped, OR tobiko(flying fish roe)
- Thoroughly combine rice through seafood.. Taste and add seasoning if needed.Gently open tofu skin pockets and gently stuff with rice mixture, leaving 1/2" unfilled. Fold over top if packing for travel.
- Note: If rice has been prepared in advance, refrigerated and hardened, sprinkle with a little water and microwave for 30-60 seconds til room temp and chewy.
- Notes: All these ingredients can be found in a Japanese store, but you can also choose to use more readily available ingredients(zucchini, beets, celery, sugar snap peas, drained cucumber etc.) No rules!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Sesame
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring