Carrot Halwa or Gajar ka Halwa is a very common and popular dish from India. My husband loves it.And, my Mom makes the best Halwa in the world! I have used wonton wrappers as it was quickest way to make. If you have a pasta maker please use it and roll out ravioli..there is nothing like homemade ravioli or if you do not have one then you can also roll them out with a rolling pin. Just keep in mind the thickness of the ravioli and it should be smooth. enjoy!
- Makes 20
5 to 6
Medium sized carrots, washed , stems remvoed and grated
Dry fruits of your choice like almonds, cashews, sultanas
5 to 6
pods of Cardamom
oil to deep fry
water or egg to seal the wrappers
- Take ghee in a pan on medium heat and add the grated carrots to it. Cook the carrots stirring now and then for about 20 minutes. Keep stirring the carrots or else they might stick to the pan or burn themselves.
- Once the carrots have cooked a quite a bit and are softened enough add the milk and ricotta to it and mix it well. Now let it simmer till the milk totally evaporates and mixes well and thickens itself. It should take about 1/2 hour or so. Keep stirring once in while.
- Once you see the milk has been reduced completely, by this time milk should have quite a bit form solids and tiny particles of dairy.
- Add in the sugar and cardamom powder and mix it well
- Once all the sugar has dissolved and eventually sugar will convert itself into syrup and again you will see the halwa has some liquid to it, cook it stirring continuously at this point. It should not take more than 5 minutes to burn the sugar.
- Eventually, what you would have resulted is the final product. At this point, you can switch off the stove. And, garnish the halwa with some dry fruits and sultanas.
- Allow this mixture to cool a little bit.
- For ravioli -Defrost the wonton wrappers and fill them up with this filling of carrot halwa and carefully seal them with water. And, pinch the edges well so that it does not open up while frying. You can also seal them with egg wash, but water works as efficiently as eggs wash might.
- Heat oil in a wok on medium high heat at 350 F approximately and add one by one all the sealed ravioli’s in the oil.
- Fry them equally on both the sides till they are golden brown in color.
- Drain them on an absorbent paper and once drained well arrange them on a platter with some powdered sugar and serve them with a dipping sauce made from chocolate or honey-spiced sauce.