If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I'm staring at my fig tree out of the back window as I'm writing this recipe. When ripe, the figs are sweet and packed w/ intense flavor which are a great compliment to caramelized onions and shallots. Add a sliver of my homemade, creamy blue cheese on toasted bread and you have a great snack to enjoy with a glass of wine on a sunny afternoon. —renee tatterson
Makes 8 crostini
Caramelized Shallots and Onions
- 2 Whole red onions, thinly sliced
- 4 Whole shallots, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar (optional)
- 1 pinch Salt/Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Fresh thyme
- 8-10 Fresh figs
Blue Cheese Crostini
- 8 pieces blue cheese
- 8 Slices crusty bread
- Heat large, non-stick pan over low heat with butter and olive oil in pan.
- Add onions and shallots to pan and toss with the butter and olive oil to coat. Allow the onions and shallots to cook slowly to soften and mellow their flavors. If adding sugar, now is the time.
- About halfway through cooking, about 15 minutes, when the onions and shallots are soft and beginning to caramelize, add salt and pepper. Be careful not to over-salt. The onions and shallots will cook longer, intensifying the salt if there is too much. Add as much pepper as you like. Also, the blue cheese will add another layer of salinity to the finished product.
- After another 10-15 minutes, add the balsamic vinegar and thyme and allow the onions and shallots to finish softening. They will also appear to be thicker in consistency.
- While the onions and shallots are cooking, slice the bread and toast it. While the bread is warm, top each slice with blue cheese. Set aside until onions and shallots are finished caramelizing. Slice figs and set aside.
- When the onions and shallots are soft, browned, and sweet, top each piece of toasted bread and cheese with the caramelized mixture. Add sliced figs on top. Enjoy with a chilled Rose' from Provence!