If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: We start to grill this time of year, rain or shine. With mango sauce and delicious pineapple on hand, this is a great light dinner or lunch with a simply dressed bed of greens. For a beach party, prep the mango lime sauce in advance, pack the kabobs in a cooler, and grill over a fire right on the beach. —Bevi
Serves: 2 - two kebobs per person
Prep time: 30 min
Cook time: 5 min
For the Mango Lime Sauce
juice of 1/2 lime
shy cup of water
ripe but not too ripe mango
zest of one half lime
dashes Tabasco sauce
For the Shrimp Kebobs
juice and zest of 1/2 lime
splashes good olive oil
dashes sea salt and ground pepper
pound large shrimp, peeled and de-veined
thick slice pineapple, cut in thick chunks
sweet long peppers, red and orange, cut in half crosswise (Sunset brand comes in a small plastic bag)
wet wooden kabob sticks
tablespoons mango lime sauce
- Prepare the mango lime sauce: Pour the lime juice into a liquid measuring cup. Add enough water to make 1 cup of liquid. Place the sugar and lime juice/ water into a saucepan over low to medium heat. Stir to dissolve the sugar, and allow to simmer until the syrup thickens a bit. Add the mango slices, and cook for about 5 minutes, then add the 1/2 lime zest and cook another 5 minutes. Take off the heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. NOTE; Fora a VERY QUICK mango sauce, place 2 very ripe mangoes in your Vitamix or blender or food processor. Puree until they are liquified. Add the juice of 2 limes to get the right flavor and consistency. Add hot sauce to taste, if desired.
- With a slotted spoon, lift the mango slices out of the syrup and place in a food processor. Add 1/4 cup of the syrup, and process until you get a smooth puree. You should have about 1 cup of puree. Stir in the Tabasco sauce. Place the puree in the refrigerator; overnight if possible. The puree will set nicely.
- Make a simple marinade for the shrimp, using 2 splashes of olive oil, the lime juice, the lime zest, and the salt and pepper. Allow the shrimp to marinate for only 10 or 15 minutes, or the shrimp will "cook" in the marinade.
- Place the pineapple, the peppers and the tomatoes in a bowl, with 2 splashes of olive and more salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Using 2 kebob sticks, spear a pepper, then a shrimp, then a pineapple chunk; and repeat so 3 shrimp are on each kebob stick. Top with a cherry tomato on the tip of each stick.
- Place the kebobs on a heated grill or grill pan and cook 3 minutes on each side. Serve on a bed of mixed greens of your choice, dressed with a simple olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper dressing. Drizzle the mango sauce atop the kebobs, serving more sauce on the side.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Savory Stone Fruit
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe Cooked Over a Fire
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Barbecued Meat
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for the Shore
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Shellfish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Mangoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilling Recipe