During a recent trip to the farmer's market, I came across a man selling nothing but shitake mushrooms. These bags full of fresh fungi looked wonderful, but I was slightly put off by the price. The man started to sell me by talking about how I could prepare them so simply and beautifully that they would taste like bacon. Prepared the way he suggested, they do not taste like bacon, but they taste like the most wonderful mushrooms in the world. I can imagine making these at a dinner party for some fancy hors d'oevres, but right now I just love taking them out of the oven and eating them straight from my cast iron skillet. —Cordelia_N
- Serves 1
Mushrooms (your favorite, most flavorful kind)
Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Gently clean your mushrooms then chop them into strips 1-2 mm wide. Cut off the stems first.
- Place the strips onto your skillet or baking sheet so that one side of each slice is fully on the skillet. Don't be afraid to spread them out.
- Drizzle as much EVOO as you want onto the mushrooms. Try to get some on each strip, but don't go crazy and drown them. Add copious amounts of fine salt and black pepper. Especially pepper.
- Place in oven and bake until slightly crsipy. Maybe 15 minutes. Enjoy!