This is a dish to WOW your family and friends. I love to use Mortadella with seafood because it adds a more delicate flavor then bacon, ham or smoked sausage. The combination of oil and butter, light tanginess of wine and lemon juice, freshness of herbs and lemon zest, and finely the marriage of shallots, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes give just the right hint of spiciness to this fabulous gratin. —Kukla
• 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and divided
• 2 teaspoons freshly grated on a microplane ginger
• 4 tablespoons dry white wine, I used White Zinfandel
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
• 4 tablespoons good olive oil
• 3/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
• 1/2 pound of each; fresh small bay scallops, whole medium shrimp, shelled and deveined, calamari, cleaned, washed and cut in about 1/3-inch rings, everything pat dry with paper towels
• Fresh parsley and dill for garnish
In This Recipe
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place a 9 or 10-inches gratin dish on a sheet pan; evenly spread 2 tablespoons of the melted butter in the bottom of the gratin dish.
In a ball of a food processor combine garlic, shallots, Mortadella, herbs, lemon juice, ginger, wine, salt, red pepper flakes and olive oil. Pulls a few times until all the ingredients are evenly diced but not mushy; you should still be able to see each of the ingredients.
Transfer to a mixing bowl; stir in lemon zest and reserve about 1/3 cup of this mixture; then fold in all the seafood, taste and add some more salt, if needed. Evenly spread in the bottom of the gratin dish. Mix the remaining 3 tablespoons of melted butter with Panko breadcrumbs; add reserved 1/3 cup of the Mortadella mixture. Spoon and evenly spread over the top.
Place on the rack in the upper third of the oven; bake for 18 to 20 minutes, until the top is golden and sizzling and the seafood is barely done. If you want the top crustier, place the dish under the broiler for 2 minutes, until browned. Finish with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a sprinkling of parsley and dill; serve immediately with crusty bread.