If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: It's warm here and getting warmer every day. Salads are on the menu often either as a side to simple grilled meats or enriched with protein for a full meal. This one can be either. The creamy dilled bacon dressing adds a nice dimension to a simple chopped salad.(Note: Although not included in this version, adding diced cooked chicken is extremely good!) —inpatskitchen
Food52 Review: So often it's the little things in a recipe that elevate it from simply satisfying to splendid and this is a prime example. The addition of a bit of bacon fat to the sour cream and mayo brings the dressing to a whole new level, and the inclusion of a handful of fresh dill adds a lovely herbaceous note that tempers the richness. As suggested in the headnote, we added some grilled chicken to make it a main course, which, served along with some dry riesling, made a first-rate summer supper. —wssmom
Makes 2 to 4 servings
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup homeade or good quality mayo
- 1 clove garlic, mashed or pressed
- 1/2 cup fresh minced dill
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 6 slices crisp cooked bacon, reserving a tablespoon of the rendered bacon fat
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 large heart of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/3 of an English cucumber, thinly sliced and then each slice halved
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion, chopped
- 2 hard boiled eggs
- 3/4 cup crumbled blue cheese
- Combine the sour cream, mayo, fresh dill, salt, pepper and milk. Crumble 2 slices of the bacon very finely and add to the dressing along with the tablespoon of rendered bacon fat. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- When ready to serve, combine the chopped lettuce, cucumbers and onions. Chop the bacon and eggs and add them to the mix. Gently fold in the blue cheese. Serve with the dilled bacon dressing.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Lettuce
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dish with Meat as a Flavoring