Author Notes: I know this combination sounds crazy, yet it works. Nutty buttery avocado, sweet juicy melon, tart tomatoes and the bright punch of lemon , accented with the dark spice of cracked pepper. This is my favorite summer salad, and is based on a dish that really opened my culinary eyes when I shared a weekend TM retreat in Connecticut with a close college friend back in the 1970's . (I really love this for breakfast too!) We often pack it for summer travel and like eating it with a spoon. —LE BEC FIN
Serves: 4-6 (6 cups)
pounds ripe cantalope ( 1 1/2 lb. flesh)in 1" cubes
ounces ripe grape or cherry tomatoes,quartered *
ripe Haas avocados ( 9 ou. total gross weight) in 1/2" cubes **
fresh coarsely ground black pepper
- Gently combine all. Taste and adjust as needed. Chill well. Devour! Will last a few days in the frig.
- *Cutting tomatoes is sooo much easier with a serrated tomato knife.
- ** My no-muss technique for cubing avocado: Halve1 avocado lengthwise.Twist slightly to separate halves and then remove pit by piercing it with the edge of a sharp knife and tugging.. Cradle one avocado half in palm of one hand, and have sharp knife in other hand. Gently score the avocado all the way through the flesh, just til you reach the skin, in a cross hatch pattern of parallel lines, East/West and North/South, w/ a spacing of about ½” between the cuts. Using a soup spoon, scoop out the avocado in one or two scoops. Cubes fall right out into your bowl!Scrape out any remaining avocado bits and add in with the rest. Repeat with second avocado half.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Lettuce-Free Salad
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Avocados