- Serves 12-15
I prefer to start my day with something savory. So for pancakes I thought I can go mid way and mix savory with sweet. Pears and Gorgonzola is match made in heaven, so why not make it into a pancake?! If you want them on the sweeter side drizzle honey on top instead of the arugula, though the peppery arugula just make it tastier. —Cordelia
- Carmelized Pears
bartlett pears (depending on their size)
all purpose flour
package of arugula
juice of half a lemon
a little more gorgonzola for salad
- Carmelized Pears
- Peel the pears and cut them to small cubes. Drizzle a bit of lemon juice so the pears won't discolorate.
- put the honey in a pan and add the pears. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes until juices evaporated, the honey caramelized but just a bit darker. Add the thyme in the last few minutes.
- Put aside to cool.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and put in a different bowl with a pinch of salt. Beat the egg whites to stiff picks.
- in a different bowl mix the yolks, milk, salt.
- Sift the flour and baking powder to the yolk bowl and mix well, but not too much so you won't get tough pancakes.
- Fold the egg whites to the mixture (first fold 1/3 of the egg whites and ten the rest for fluffier texture).
- Fold in the Gorgonzola and the pears.
- Warm a non-stick pan on medium heat with some butter (one teaspoon). When warm pour about 1/3 of a cup of the mixture to the pan (depending on the size of the pancakes you want). Fry for about 3-4 minutes until there are a lot of bubbles on top and the pan side is brownish. Flip the pancake and fry for 1-2 minutes until brownish. Don't cook too much so it won't get dry.
- Mix the arugula with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 2 tablespoons of honey, lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- For serving - put a handful of the arugula on top of 1-2 pancakes and sprinkle with crumbled Gorgonzola.