Author Notes: A local restaurant, 2Amy's Pizzeria, makes the most unreal fava bean crostini during fresh fava season. It makes me swoon, and over the years, I've eaten as many as possible. Last year, my hubby and I decided we really needed to come up with our own version, and this is it. Not only is it beautiful and simple and the flavors of favas, mint and pecorino burst in every bite.
At the farmers market several weeks ago, I was greedily filling my sack with pounds of favas- several women smiled and said I really must adore these. What was I planning to do with them? I came home and made this of course! —em-i-lis
Serves: 4-8, depending on how many you're willing to share
baguette, sliced and brushed with olive oil
pound shelled and skinned fava beans (this is about 1 lb 5 oz shelled favas, so probably nearly 2 pounds whole favas)
cup extra virgin olive oil
ounces grated pecorino, plus more for shaving on top the crostini
teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling
cup mint leaves
juice of 1/2 lemon
freshly ground pepper
- To prepare the fresh favas: shell the beans. Heat a medium pot of water to boiling; blanch shelled favas in the boiling water for 2-3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to an ice bath (bowl of water + ice) to cool rapidly. When cool, use your fingernail or a paring knife to slice open the skin and slip the inner beans out. After doing this, you should have roughly a pound left.
- Preheat oven to 450. Place the baguette slices, brushed with olive oil, on a baking sheet, and set aside.
- In a food processor, put the shelled, blanched, cooled and skinned fava beans, the 1/3 c of EVOO, pecorino, salt, mint leaves, lemon juice and several rounds of freshly ground pepper. Puree until chunky but smooth.
- Put the baking sheet of baguette slices into the oven and cook until golden brown. Remove and dab 1-2 T of fava bean puree on each slice. Sprinkle with salt if you want, drizzle with a little EVOO and shave a bit of pecorino on top. Serve!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Beans
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Mint