If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Ok so the title is a little deceptive because this recipe ended up being accidentally vegan. I had just harvested my second zucchini which was bigger than my head. Rather than do the standard salted noodles (we eat that constantly), or a quick bread or fritter (too hot!) I decided to just do a quick search for inspiration. On F&W, the first recipe with a photo was a grilled zucchini and peach dish with macadamia cream. I have to say that zucchini and peaches did not at all appeal to me but we do use cashew cream a fair amount and I thought that might be a good, lighter version that the cheesy, creamy zucchini alfredo I usually make. I happened to have a pile of mushrooms which I thought could make a substantial addition and eggplant seemed like a good, meaty pairing. And so it was. —savorthis
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons soy
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 sprigs thyme, chopped
- 1 pint cremini mushrooms
- 1 eggplant
- 1 giant or 3 medium zucchinis
- 1.5 ounces toasted nuts (hazelnuts, sliced almonds or pine nuts)
- 1 head broccoli cut into small pieces
- red pepper flakes or aleppo pepper
- Soak cashews in hot water while you prep rest of meal.
- Heat grill.
- Mix soy, vinegar, 2 T oil, 1/2 t zest, garlic, 1/2 of thyme and pepper. Cut sides of eggplant to make a brick shape and cut into uniform cubes. Trim mushroom stems and toss with eggplant in marinade. Thread onto skewers.
- Cut zucchini into 1/4 inch strips. Toss with remaining 2 T oil, zest, thyme and salt and pepper.
- Grill skewers and zucchini until tender and let cool enough to handle.
- Heat pan over medium high heat. Cook broccoli in a bit of oil with salt until crisp tender.
- Blend cashews, half of soaking water, yeast and lemon juice until very smooth adding salt and pepper to taste. Add more water to get the consistency of a thick cream sauce.
- Cut zucchini into noodles and toss with chopped parsley, nuts and broccoli and serve with skewers. Add some cracked pepper and, if you are not a vegan, some grated parmesan.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Grilled Vegetable Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Barbecue