Author Notes: I’ve dreamt about making these again and again...next time with turkey mince, sage and chestnuts. —Kitchen Butterfly
Serves: 4 (makes 15 - 18 balls)
grams Minced pork
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons coriander (cilantro) stalks, chopped
1 tablespoon sliced spring onions
1 teaspoon of grated fresh ginger
1 cup glutinous rice
1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Rinse the rice until the water runs clear and then soak for an hour. Remove, rinse and drain in a sieve. Spread the rice on a flat plate and pat with a paper towel to remove the excess water.
- Mix the pork with the water, wine, coriander, ginger, onions, salt and pepper and mix well to combine . Add the cornstarch and then mix. That's your filling all done.
- Using a teaspoon dipped in water, scoop up spoonfuls and roll into balls.
- When your meat balls are ready, roll them in the rice till they are completely coated.
- Prepare a steamer by lining with a damp cloth. Place the pearl balls in, about 2 cm apart
- Steam over high heat for half and hour
- Remove and serve. I served mine with a passata made with ginger and coriander, though the chinese typically serve them with soy sauce.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Open House Dish
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Meatballs
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Savory Rice Dish