If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Our blogging group (38 Healthiest Ingredients) chose mushrooms for this Friday's post. Kept dreaming of mushrooms and herbs over cheese toast. Perfect for fall with Oregon Pinot Noir, please! —Alyce Morgan
- 8 slices baguette
- 8 thin slices Gruyère cheese
- 1 tablespoon Each: butter and olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 24 ounces mixed mushrooms, your choice
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons mixed fresh herbs (tarragon, thyme, marjoram, parsley, etc.) Plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 cup Each: chicken broth and white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon Each: kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated, for garnish (optional)
- On a large baking sheet, place one cheese slice on each baguette piece and broil about 2 min. until brown and bubbly. Put two pieces of cheese toast in each of 4 shallow bowls and set aside. Heat butter, oil, and red pepper over medium heat in a large, deep sautè pan and then add mushrooms, shallots, and garlic. Cook until mushrooms are browned. Stir to turn mushrooms, and add herbs, broth, wine, salt and pepper. Let simmer until liquid is somewhat reduced. Taste and adjust seasonings. Spoon over Gruyère toasts and garnish with reserved fresh herbs. Top with Parmesan if desired. Pass extra black pepper at table.