If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I opened the latest Saveur magazine which was featuring 101 classic dishes. The very first recipe was salmorejo, a chilled, blended tomato soup topped with chopped, hard-boiled egg and serrano or ibérico ham. I knew immediately I would be making a version with sweet potatoes to go with that night’s brined, grilled chicken. I did not even read the ingredients, but went straight downstairs and began peeling sweet potatoes. As I prepped I recalled two amazing sweet potato soups of my past: one was blended with smokey chipotle and one was roasted with kabocha, onions and garlic. I ended up combining it all for a truly wonderful soup. —savorthis
pounds sweet potatoes
cups chicken stock
chipotle in adobo sauce
cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut them into large chunks. Peel onions and shallots and cut onion into 8 pieces and shallots in half. Leave skins on garlic. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper, tossing to coat. Roast about 40 minutes or until tender and beginning to brown.
- Meanwhile, place eggs in small pot and cover with water to an inch over eggs. Heat to boiling, cover, turn off heat and let sit 18 minutes. Place in ice water for 2 minutes, then peel. Gently pull eggs apart to separate white and yolk. Press each through a sieve to make very tiny pieces.
- Cook bacon over medium heat until browned. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Cook sage leaves in bacon fat for about 20 seconds and drain on paper towels.
- Thin sour cream with cream or milk until drizzle-able.
- Remove garlic skins and blend until very smooth in batches with sweet potatoes, onions, broth, thyme and chipotle and adobo. Return to pot. Heat, then ladle into bowls garnishing with bacon, eggs, sage and a drizzle of cream.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Dinner That Makes a Good Lunch
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Potatoes
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe for Autumn Soup
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Cheap Feast