- Serves 4-6
Congee is a comfort food. I like it savory for Sunday supper, and with honey and gingery pears when I have a cold. This version uses a rainbow of sweet potatoes and potatoes, as well as greens and mushrooms. —luvcookbooks
What You'll Need
short grain brown rice
water or vegetable stock
sweet potatoes, one purple, one red, one white or 2 medium orange sweet potatoes
garlic cloves, minced
inches ginger root
1 1/2 tablespoons
handful of marble sized Yukon gold, blue and red skinned potatoes or two Yukon Gold potatoes
- Bring rice and stock or water to a boil in a large saucepan. Turn down and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Thinly slice the shallots. Use half the oil to frizzle them in a small saucepan. Set aside.
- Chop the sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch dice. Leave the skins on. Slice the Yukon gold, red and blue potatoes in half. Leave their skins on, too. After the rice mixture has cooked for 25 minutes, add the potatoes. Continue to simmer, partly covered.
- Heat the remaining oil in a small frying pan. Mince the garlic cloves and peel and mince the ginger. Warm the garlic and ginger gently until they are softened. Wash the kale well and slice into thin ribbons. Add to the pan and cover. Wash and chop the mushrooms and add them to the kale. Let them cook down until the kale loses its bright green color and the mushrooms give up their liquid and brown. If the mixture becomes too dry, add a ladle of liquid from the rice so there isn't too much oil in the finished dish.
- Add the mirin and soy sauce to the kale and mushrooms and stir well. When the potatoes are tender, stir the sesame oil into the rice mixture.
- PRice and ut a spoonful of greens into the bottom of each soup bowl. Ladle over the rice and stock. Top with a bit of the frizzled shallot. Enjoy!