If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: When I was growing up in Petaluma most of my classmates (like a few of my relatives) were of Italian descent. I loved their ravioli and sauces. My favorite that always had me hinting to stay for dinner was polenta with mushroom and chicken poured over it. My father who also loved polenta bought my mother a special polenta pot. It was a tall sloped copper pot that was only used for cooking polenta. Lucky me!!...I have the pot. This recipe is for polenta that is much richer than basic polenta. The cream and cheese and onions add much more depth to the dish. The mushroom gravy is best made with fresh porcini which we are lucky to find locally. I like to make this as a side dish with roasted chicken. —dymnyno
1 cup Giusto's organic polenta
1 cup diced yellow onion
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup heavy cream
6 tbs butter (3 plus 3)
1 cup grated gruyere' cheese
1 tbs minced garlic
2 cups mushrooms, Porcini and white mushrooms that are medium chopped.
- In a polenta pot or heavy bottomed pot melt 3 tbs butter.
- Saute' the onions and garlic until translucent.
- Add 2 1/2 cups chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Slowly add the polenta, stirring with a wooden spoon continually.
- Lower heat and continue to stir. Add 1 cup heavy cream and stir continually.
- When the polenta is cooked it will start to pull away from the sides of the pot.
- Add the gruyere' cheese and stir.
- To make the gravy: melt 3 tbs butter and when melted add 2 cups mushrooms (porcini and white mushrooms that are medium chopped) Then add a little water or chicken broth and cook until a little reduced. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Spoon polenta onto a plate and put a little mushroom gravy on top of the polenta
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Polenta Recipe