If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: My dish is an oven roasted persimmon stuffed with Asian-inspired ingredients (chestnuts, ginger, scallions, miso). A little sweet, a little savory - the perfect dish to warm your heart. I am a bit head over heels over persimmons and snatch them up when I see them pop up in stores! —wgfoodie
- 2 Persimmons
- 4 Chestnuts
- 1 Scallion (Green Onion)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger (Grated)
- .5 cups Quinoa
- 1.5 tablespoons White Miso Paste
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1.5 tablespoons Mirin (Cooking Sake)
- 2 teaspoons Maple Syrup
- dashes Salt + White Pepper
- Roast your chestnuts in advance. I roasted mine in the oven – make cross hatches on the round side of the chestnut and place on a baking sheet in a 400 F oven for about 20 minutes. Peel them as soon as you’re able to handle them as it becomes difficult to peel once cooled completely.
- Cook quinoa according to package. I add a little oil and season the cooking liquid with salt + white pepper.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 F for this dish.
- Finely chop up the scallions and chestnuts.
- Peel and grate the ginger.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, mirin, maple syurp and grate ginger. Once well combined, add the scallions and chestnuts.
- Cut of the tops of the persimmons and a sliver of the bottom (for standing support). Carefully hollow out the flesh.
- Make sure you remove whatever core and seeds are prevalent. Chop up the flesh and add to the mixing bowl.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the mixing bowl. Mix all ingredients together.
- Re-fill the hollow-ed out persimmons with the filling and place in an oven-proof dish. I would leave the tops off until the last few minutes of cooking to avoid burning the leaves.
- Pop the stuffed persimmons into the oven for about 25 minutes. Place the tops back on about 5 minutes prior to them being done.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Persimmons