I may have lost power and hot water in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, but I had my best friend, a functioning gas stove, and a stocked pantry. We savored this dish in candlelight with half a bottle of Bordeaux and stories that come out when the lights are off. —D-YUH
- Serves 2
angel hair pasta or spaghetti
medium shallot, diced
clove garlic, minced
tin of boneless, skinless sardines in tomato sauce
jar of your favorite tomato sauce
crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 400--the numbers on my oven's dial have smudged off, so this does not need to be exact.
- Cook pasta in salted water for about half the suggested time on the box--about 4 minutes. While it's boiling, begin on the sauce.
- In a saucepan, saute garlic and shallots in olive oil lightly brown. Pour in about a cup and a half of tomato sauce--either homemade or your favorite store-bought jar. Mix in a tin of sardines in tomato sauce, leaving some large chunks in the sauce. Once heated through, turn off heat.
- In an oven-safe casserole dish, mix the drained pasta with the sardine tomato sauce and crushed pepper.
- Crack two eggs on the layer of pasta and place on the top rack of the oven for about 10 minutes, until the whites are set.
- Once this is sitting on a trivet on your kitchen table, use a fairly sharp knife to split the dish in half, ensuring both parties have a full egg on their serving. Gently scoop each serving into a bowl without disrupting the yolks' balance. Serve with more red pepper, black pepper, parmesan, and/or crusty bread.