This is a very healthy chicken noodle soup that is full of flavour. This dish consists of rice noodles in a delicious chicken broth flavoured by a combination of spices such as cinnamon, star anise, cloves, and cardamom. —Bintu
Test Kitchen Notes
It must have been fate that I found this recipe contest the day after I came down with a whopping cold. This soup offers a lovely, subtly-spiced twist on traditional chicken noodle that made me feel better after just one bowl! I used much more than a pinch of salt and pepper, and several dashes of fish sauce. Lime is essential as a garnish. Rich and flavorful, this is definitely going to be my new flu-season standard! —lazychef
- Serves 4
black cardamom pods
whole star anise
ginger (about 30g)
fish sauce to taste
black pepper (to taste)
salt (to taste)
cooked rice noodles
- Split open the cardamom pods and toast them with the cinnamon, star anise, coriander and cloves for about 2 minutes, stirring all the time so they do not burn.
- Put spices in a spice bag, seal, and set aside.
- Char the spring onions, shallots and ginger (with their skins on) for about 5 minutes. Then peel and set them aside.
- Fill a large stock pot with water and bring to a boil.
- Put the whole chicken in the boiling water and boil it for 7 minutes.
- You will probably get some foam from the chicken floating on the surface. Remove the chicken, discard the water, and wipe the pot clean of the foam.
- Return the stockpot to the heat and add in 3 litres of boiling water, the chicken, and the prepared shallots, ginger and onions.
- Bring everything back to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer with the lid off.
- After about 20 minutes, remove the chicken, carve off the breasts, slice them, and set them aside.
- Return the rest of the chicken to the stock pot and simmer uncovered for a further 20 minutes
- Add the spice bag into the broth and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Strain the broth and discard the vegetables, spices, and chicken carcass.
- Return broth to the pot and adjust seasoning to taste. Add in fish sauce and sugar (if using). Then, switch off the heat.
- Quickly blanch noodles and bean sprouts in boiling water to soften them.
- Layer food in the bowl in this order: bean sprouts, noodles, chicken breast, and cover these with the broth.
- Sprinkle over some black pepper and add toppings of your choice. These can include chopped chiles, cilantro, spring onions, basil, mint, red onion, lime wedges and yellow bean sauce.