Author Notes: Chicken Adobo has been a standby favorite dish for decades. I mean, Adobo, what's not to like? Soy sauce (Tamari- even better!), vinegar, garlic, bay leaf, black pepper: some of my favorite flavors. Not only that, but the few ingredients are always in my pantry, and it takes only 5 minutes to put it together! The other night, I was looking for a simple okra preparation that would complement a chicken entree., so I tried adapting the Adobo for okra. Hooray, it worked!: —LE BEC FIN
1 pound okra pods (no need to remove caps)
1/4 cup tamari(I prefer SanJ Low Sodium)
1/2 cup white, red wine or sherry vinegar
1/3 cup water
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
2 bay leaves, broken up
- Put all into a deep saute pan, cover and bring to boil. Set lid ajar, reduce to simmer , After 10 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning. Cook 5-10 minutes til okra is tender and filled with flavor. Remove from heat, remove okra from pan and cook down juices to thicken a bit. Pour over okra and serve.
- Note: When I make Chicken Adobo, I always have some leftover sauce that I keep in the freezer. The more it gets used and supplemented with further Adobo chicken dishes(like a Starter!), the more chicken essence/gelatin gets added If you have some, you can use this for all or part of this recipe.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipes with 5 Ingredients or Fewer
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Recipe with Vinegar