If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This can be served as a main dish or as an appetizer —MarieGlobetrotter
Makes 1 dish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 pinch sugar
- 200g canned tomatoes, diced
- 1 handful flat parsley
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- 2 drops drops Tabasco
- 9 Phyllo sheets
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 200g Haloumi, sliced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Preheat oven on 350F.
- Heat olive oil in saucepan, stir in slices of onion and sugar and caramelize for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chopped parsley, Tabasco, and tomato paste. Season to taste and cook for 5 minutes.
- Grease a square cake pan. Cover the bottom with one layer of phyllo. Brush with some butter, and add another layer of phyllo. Brush with butter again and add a third layer of phyllo dough.
- Spread out half of the tomato mixture onto the phyllo layer. Then add half of the Haloumi.
- Add three more layers of phyllo, donâ€™t forget to brush each sheet with some butter..
- Add the remaining tomato mixture and cheese. Cover with three more layers of phyllo dough. Brush the upper layer with butter and a little bit of water.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Five minutes before the end, brush some honey on top and set back in the oven.
- Take out of the oven and cut into small or large slices depending whether it is serve as an appetizer or main dish