This can be served as a main dish or as an appetizer —MarieGlobetrotter
- Makes 1 dish
canned tomatoes, diced
Salt and pepper
In This Recipe
- Preheat oven on 350F.
- Heat olive oil in saucepan, stir in slices of onion and sugar and caramelize for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, chopped parsley, Tabasco, and tomato paste. Season to taste and cook for 5 minutes.
- Grease a square cake pan. Cover the bottom with one layer of phyllo. Brush with some butter, and add another layer of phyllo. Brush with butter again and add a third layer of phyllo dough.
- Spread out half of the tomato mixture onto the phyllo layer. Then add half of the Haloumi.
- Add three more layers of phyllo, donâ€™t forget to brush each sheet with some butter..
- Add the remaining tomato mixture and cheese. Cover with three more layers of phyllo dough. Brush the upper layer with butter and a little bit of water.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Five minutes before the end, brush some honey on top and set back in the oven.
- Take out of the oven and cut into small or large slices depending whether it is serve as an appetizer or main dish