If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Incredibly easy to put together, these savory fragrant bites are a sure hit time and time again. Add your favorite herbs, or substitute pistachio for pignoli, or skip the fancy-shmanciness altogether -- the outcome is invariable same -- they will be gone in 60 seconds. The sausage bites can be prepared ahead up to step 9 and frozen. Remove from the freezer 1 hr prior to baking.
Inspired by Sausage Rolls recipe from The Complete Book of Party Food and Appetizers by Bridget Jones —Eat Already!
Makes: 4 dozen
medium shallots, minced
cloves garlic, minced
package (about 14 oz) mild or hot Italian sausage
teaspoon dry thyme
teaspoon dry basil
cup pignoli (pine nuts)
sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed according to instructions
egg, whisked with a small pinch of salt and 1 tbsp water
tablespoons sesame, caraway, fennel, dill, or other seeds for sprinkling
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat
- Add minced garlic and onion, and saute for 5-6 minutes, until fragrant and translucent. Let cool until manageable
- Mix sausage, onion+garlic, thyme, basil, fresh dill, salt and pine nuts in a bowl, until uniform and smooth.
- Roll out the puff pastry out on a lightly floured surface into 4 strips 3 inches wide and about 12 inches long.
- Arrange sausage stuffing into a 1? inch roll in the middle of the strip, taking care to reach all the way to the edge on short end of the strip.
- Sprinkle a portion of parmesan on top of the sausage stuffing
- Spread some egg wash along one of the long edges of the dough.
- Carefully fold the dough over the sausage stuffing, closing the seem.
- Roll the sausage filled dough pipe on the board a little bit to ensure uniform thickness and to seal the seam. Proceed with the remaining dough and stuffing.
- When all pipes are ready, spread the egg wash all over them, and sprinkle the seeds of your choosing on top.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Cut each pipe into 12 1? bites.
- Arrange the bites on a baking sheet 1? apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Serve warm