If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Fresh basil *is* summer to me. I would eat a variation on pesto at every meal all summer long if I didn't have three other mouths to feed. This recipe is just a little bit different, and lets me get my basil hit while also satisfying the family. It's also very versatile--use whatever veggies you love the most. —avimom
cups cooked quinoa, still warm, any variety
cup pesto, use homemade or just your favorite from a jar
sweet onion, diced small
cloves of fresh garlic, minced
medium zucchini, diced small
cup pine nuts
cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
cup fresh basil, in a chiffonade (or more if you love basil as much as I do)
- In a large serving bowl, mix the pesto in with the warm quinoa. Set aside.
- Saute the veggies in a little olive oil until the zucchini is just tender and the onions are just soft. Keep an eye on the garlic so it doesn't get too brown.
- Push the veggies off to the side and then quickly toast the pine nuts in the middle of the pan.
- Add about 1/4 cup of the fresh basil and stir to mix the veggies and pine nuts well and wilt the herbs.
- Add the veggie and herb mix to the quinoa and mix well. Add the cheese and mix well to melt thoroughly.
- Garnish with the rest of the fresh basil chiffonade just before serving. Pass more cheese when serving, if desired. Can be served warm or at room temp.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Fresh Herbs