If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This is a wonderfully flavorful rice salad. It's been a family classic forever. My mother originally found it as a pasta salad in a cookbook and tried making it with rice because a friend with celiac disease was coming over. It was so good, we never even tried it with pasta! We've been trying to figure out which cookbook it came from, but can't. If anyone recognizes it and knows where it came from, please let me know! I'd love to credit the source. —erinbdm
Serves 8 as a side
- 2 cups dry basmati rice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup packed stemmed flat leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped and rinsed in cold water
- 1 cup chopped and pitted kalamata olives
- 2/3 cup currants
- 2/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- Prepare rice according to package directions. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Blend the garlic, salt, parsley, lemon juice, vinegar, curry powder, sugar, cumin, pepper, and olive oil.
- Pour the dressing over the rice. Stir in onion, olives, currants, and pine nuts.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side