Author Notes: This dish is adapted for Giada De Laurentis’ Everyday Italian show on the Food Network. The modifications I made to the original recipe: I subbed spinach for arugula, added edamame for more protein, and ended up adding 1/2 cup more vegetable broth. —themessimake.com
tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
small shallots – chopped (or use 1/4 cup chopped red onions if you don’t have shallots)
small red pepper
cup edamame or peas
teaspoon black pepper
cups vegetable broth
teaspoon lemon zest
cup toasted slivered almonds
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil on medium heat.
- Add shallots and saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chopped red pepper, salt and pepper and cook for about 3-4 minutes, or until they’re soft.
- Add spinach and edamame, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- And quinoa and stir for 1-2 minutes, until coated with oil.
- Add vegetable broth, cover the saucepan and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked. The original recipe called for 1 1/2 cup of broth but I ended up added 1/2 cup more because the quinoa was not fully cooked.
- Using a fork, fluff the quinoa once its cooked.
- Add lemon zest and additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve with toasted almonds.