If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: Poached egg optional! This recipe is inspired by the Happy Belly Bowl at Honeymoon Cafe in Morro Bay, CA. Bring in the leftovers without the egg for lunch the next day. Also a great picnic side dish! —Borrowed Salt
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 handfuls basil leaves
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- salt and pepper
- Combine ingredients in a small food processor or blender (I used my immersion blender in a pinch). Blend til smooth, adding water til you reach a consistency like thick soup. Set aside.
Quinoa and Veggies
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 2/3 cups water or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3/4 cup carrots, sliced
- 2 small zucchini, halved and sliced into half moons
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup pepitas, toasted
- 2 handfuls baby arugula
- 2 eggs (OPTIONAL)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Combine quinoa and water or broth in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat to simmer and cook 15 minutes. Drain quinoa and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a medium-large skillet on medium heat til shimmering. Add onion and carrot, cook 5 minutes. Add garlic and zucchini, cook 3 minutes longer. Season with salt and pepper. Add quinoa, pepitas, and pesto to veggie skillet and stir to combine.
- Wash quinoa saucepan (I like efficiency) and fill with at least 3 inches water. Add white vinegar. Bring to a boil. Swirl water and poach eggs one by one, 2-3 minutes each.
- To serve, plate quinoa and veggies with a handful of arugula and top with a poached egg. Season with salt and pepper and serve.
- For a great next-day lunch or side dish, mix another handful of arugula into leftover quinoa, and pop into the microwave for about 45 seconds.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Portable Side