If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: I love using those little phyllo mini cups that you can find in the freezer section of most grocery stores. They're great for quick appetizers and miniature desserts. This time I put a sort of caprese salad into them for a tasty summer appetizer. This recipe makes much more jam than you'll need for the number I made, but the jam is great spread on baguette slices also. —inpatskitchen
Makes: 15 appetizers with lots of tomato-basil jam to spare for more
For the tomato-basil jam
large ripe Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and cut into a fine dice
large basil leaves, finely sliced
teaspoon granulated sugar
more finely sliced basil leaves
- In a small to medium sauce pan add the tomatoes, eight basil leaves, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until the mixture thickens up, about 15 to 20 minutes. If the tomatoes don't all break up, use a potato masher or similar utensil to finish breaking them up. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Stir in the two sliced basil leaves, cover and refrigerate for at least a few hours. The mixture will thicken a little more.
Putting it all together
3 to 4
ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 1/4 inch dice
basil leaves, thinly sliced
1 to 2
tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Salt fo seasoning
Some of the tomato-basil jam
package mini phyllo shells (15)
- Place the mini phyllo shells on a baking sheet and crisp them up a bit in a 350F oven for 3 to 4 minutes and then let them cool.
- Just before serving, mix the cheese, basil, olive oil and salt together making sure the cheese is thoroughly coated with the oil. Add a little salt to taste.
- Spoon the tomato-basil jam into the mini phyllo shells almost to their tops. Place a few cubes of the basil marinated cheese over each cup and serve.
- This recipe was entered in the contest for A&M Smackdown / Your Best Tomato Recipe