If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: This recipe is inspired by fresh farmer's market vegetables and my love for eggs! —Sam
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups vegetables*
- olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 3 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 poached egg
- toasted bread crumbs
- 2 cups basil
- 2-3 whole garlic cloves
- 2 ounces pine nuts
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup pecorino, romano or parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Prepare your vegetables: * this is where you can get creative. I just used the vegetables that I bought at the local farmer's market (zucchini squash, radishes, beets and carrots), but you can really use whatever is in season or your favorite veggies! Season the vegetables with olive oil (1-2 tablespoons) kosher salt, and pepper and half a lemon. Set in oven. Depending on your vegetables, the time will differ. Mine took about 20 minutes.
- Place 1 cup quinoa in a small pot with 2 cups water. Set to boil. Once boiling, put the lid on and set it to a simmer. Quinoa should take 10-15 minutes until ready.
- Prepare your pesto: place basil, pine nuts and garlic into a food processor. Process until coarsely chopped. Then add olive oil. Mix until smooth. Set aside in a bowl and mix in the cheese.
- Prepare the kale by sautéing in a pan over medium heat, with 1-2 teaspoons olive oil. Sauté until warm, but so that the kale is still crunchy and maintains its shape, about 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- When quinoa and vegetables are ready, combine in a bowl and season with salt, pepper, lemon and some olive oil to your taste. Then divide amongst four plates. Top the quinoa mixture with the sautéed kale, a poached egg, toasted breadcrumbs and the pesto. Enjoy! Can also be served with fish; we made a wonderful rainbow trout in addition to this bowl and it mixed in very well!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best Quinoa Recipe