If you like it, save it!
Save and organize all of the stuff you love in one place.Got it!
If you like something…
Click the heart, it's called favoriting. Favorite the stuff you like.Got it!
Author Notes: A good meal when you're really craving meat but don't want to overdo it--it's filling and hearty, has a piquant flavor and is even good cold the next day! The Chinese yellow wine, called ShaoXing, and Oyster Sauce adds a layer of bold taste to the broth, and the greens and leeks give it a rich texture, as well as making it more nutritious! This is good served with warmed mantou, white Chinese steamed buns for dipping and goes well for dinner or lunch any time of year. Add chopped, fresh cilantro just before serving in large bowls, and a sprinkle of sesame seeds on top. —BeijingRose
- 1 1/2 pounds lean stew beef
- 1/2 cup yellow Chinese wine (ShaoXing)
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame seed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6-10 whole, peeled garlic cloves
- 3 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled & sliced
- 1 packet beef bouillon
- 1 pound whole wheat thin spaghetti noodles
- 2 large leeks, 1-in. wide slices
- 2 small bunches baby bok choy, chopped in large pieces
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- Place the beef chunks and mushrooms in a large bowl and pour over them the soy sauce, sesame seed oil, oyster sauce and sugar, then drop in the garlic and ginger. Toss until all items are well-coated and marinate one hour.
- Heat your skillet to medium and toss in the beef, mushrooms, garlic, ginger and sauces. Stir-fry beef until all sides are brown, cover and turn down to medium-low and cook for 20 minutes.
- While beef is heating, pour 3 quarts water into a large soup pot, add the beef bouillon, and bring to a boil. Pour in all the ingredients in the sauce pan and bring down to a steady simmer. Cover and cook for another 20 minutes. Toss in the bok choy and leeks. Uncover and cook for 10 minutes--do not overcook the vegetables! Pour into bowls and add fresh chopped cilantro and a sprinkle of toasted sesame seeds to each bowl.