Author Notes: Prime Rib is one of the simplest pieces of meat to do. However, if done properly, can be one of the most amazing pieces of meat as well. For my New Year's Resolution, I plan on keeping things simple, just like a prime rib. Doing things right. Doing things that will benefit me, and doing less of what I want, and more of what I need! Happy New Year! —mtlabor
2 & 1/2
pounds rib roast
cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
salt and pepper
cups red wine
- Make sure you meat is at room temperature before you do any cooking.
- Place the garlic slices underneath pockets of fat. You can also slice small cracks in the meat to stuff it in, but my piece of roast had enough marbling throughout that I didn't have to do too much of that.
- Rub both sides of roast in enough salt and pepper to your liking.
- Preheat oven to 500 F. Yeah, this is going to be a high heat roasting method.
- Place meat in a roasting dish and bake in oven for about 20-25 minutes.
- Turn heat down to 325 F and roast for another 5-8 minutes.
- Then increase heat to 425 F and cook for about 15 minutes longer.
- Let rest of cutting board for 10 minutes. While you're waiting, you can make a quick jus.
- Place the roasting pan on the stove and heat under high heat. Deglaze the pan with about 2 cups or more of red wine and make sure you lift up the brown bits, or sucs. Add salt and pepper to taste and reduce sauce by about 1/2.
- Cut the roast, it should be a nice medium rare, and serve with mashed potatoes topped with the jus.
- This recipe is a Community Pick!
- This recipe was entered in the contest for Your Best New Year's Resolution Dish